Thursday, April 26, 2012

Tuscaloosa, AL {Apr. 27, 2011}

Early morning on April 27, 2011 I left Fayetteville, NC we had just finished helping after their tornado. I was headed to Popular Bluff, MO to help with flooding. Needless to say I had no idea what was coming. I stopped just east of Knoxville, TN to avoid the storms path but it changed course and came right over where I was parked. I survied a long night two hours of which was in cooler at the gas station. The next morning I called Don and ask him to make some calls while I changed my plans and headed torwards Alabama. Later Don put me in touch with Trae Durdan (Central Church of Christ, Tuscaloosa) and I headed there. We arrived in Tuscaloosa, AL on Thursday April 28th the day after the tornado hit. The following is what we accomplished. Over 150 Bible Studies Setup, 12 Baptisms, 42,866 Meals Served. Over 800 families helped with cleanup (chainsaw and other work). Many loads of other food, water and supplies handed out. Church building was completely torn down and hauled away. Furniture and appliances still being handed out.
Tuscaloosa, AL {Apr. 27, 2011} FAST FACTS 65 fatalities, 1500 injured Total damage estimate: $2.2 billion Tornado path length: 80.68 miles Forbes index (100-point scale): 43.9 Arguably the most destructive single tornado of a record-setting day during which 200 tornadoes spun across the Southeast was a massive tornado which churned through Tuscaloosa, Ala. that afternoon.

No comments: