Thursday, February 14, 2013

The following was posted on Compadres by Bill Denton Minister of Rodenberg church of Christ Biloxi MS. Bill worked with us today at Kensington Woods. Bill Denton I'd like to commend Mike Baumgartner and the disaster assistance work he and his team are doing in Hattiesburg, MS. Well over 700 people got a free meal today, and lots of people came to the building for food and other supplies. A bunch of happy ladies steadily packed meal bags, and graciously allowed me to help out today. I got to ride with a lady named Minnie! She's a retired elementary school teacher. Literally, knows everybody in town (evidence by the fact she called just about everybody we say around town by name!). The destruction is shocking. Reminded me of Hwy 90 along the coast after Katrina. Only difference is that in Hattiesburg it's rather selective. Still, I'm amazed at such total, complete destruction of houses and buildings and no deaths! I'm sure Mike would appreciate any help if any of you could manage a day or more. I can tell you, packing that many meal sacks is, by itself, quite a chore! Mike is a member of Compadres, I'm sure. Contact him for information. And if you know anybody who would like to make a donation, they can use the money.

No comments: