Saturday, November 10, 2012

Disaster Assistance Mission-Hoboker NJ/Far Rockaway NY

Today was another big one. Handed out many lunches and the rest of the supplies from Northport CoC. When we finished here I decided to drive over to Rockaway and see how things look before I take the Mobile Headquarters there. Wish I had not had that idea. It is about 20 miles from here and it took me 2 hours to get there. By that time it was almost dark so no photos yet. The area looked just like I remember things looked after Hurricane Katrina, boats in the middle of the road and cars stranded everwhere. I looked at the location where Far Rckaway and Long Island CoC have been handing out supplies during the day and deciced I didn't think it was safe enouth for me to stay there at night with the Mobile Headquarters. So the plan now is the police department is going to set us in a secure location and will take the meals out to the areas in need much like we do most of the time anyhow. Tomorrow I am going to Sams and Walmart to purchase as much as I can get in the headquarters than on Monday members from Mid-Hudson CoC are coming here to help move everything to Far Rockaway NY.

No comments: